Sunday, November 13, 2011

Color Me Confused . . .

I had not planned on posting a second blog today let alone one so close to the other, but I was just baffled beyond belief!  I had to share!

Tonight, Philip and I had dinner with some friends at Olive Garden.  The salad is good and healthy provided you order the light Italian dressing (yes, they have that!) on the side.  The bread sticks . . . well, they are 150 calories per stick.  If you plan for it, you can do it.  You just have to decide if it's worth it.  Personally, I don't think it is; and I'm a bread lover.  I think I would rather have a cheddar biscuit from Red Lobster or an O'Charley's roll.  Still, I digress . . . The point of my post is to test your healthy choice skills.

Which of these two meals would be the better choice:
  1. Skewers of grilled marinated steak and chicken with a rosemary demi-glace, served with grilled vegetables and Tuscan potatoes.
  2. Grilled 8 oz center cut sirloin topped with Parmesan-herb breading, baked golden brown. Served with garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes and asparagus drizzled with balsamic glaze.
Both sounded great.  With #1, I thought the grilled and vegetables sounded really good and healthy.  With #2, while it was baked, "Parmesan-herb breading" and "garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes" threw up red flags.  Grilled potatoes definitely sounded healthier than massed potatoes.

Imagine my surprise when I looked up the calorie info! 
  1. 830 calories, 28 fat, 72 carbs, and 73 protein
  2. 690 calories, 35 fat, 40 carbs, and 55 protein
Color me surprised and confused!  I never would have guessed!  Just another reminder as to why it's best to know what you're eating before you eat it!  Luckily, I ate less than half my meal or I would have greatly overshot my calories.  Be smart - don't assume!

No comments: