Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Turkey Day!

Do you hear what I hear?  The groans, the moans, it must be Thanksgiving!  Ah, who can resist a holiday designed around food?  Turkey and casseroles and pies - oh MY!  Definitely not the time of year to be on a "diet".  Good thing I'm not! 

From the start, I chose not to call this change a "diet".  You realize what the majority of the word "diet" is made up of - right?  D-I-E.  That's no way to live!  Instead of diet, I choose to LIVE-IT!  While a restricted diet can help you lose weight, it's not reasonable - not sustainable.  That's why so many diets fail.

Going in to the holiday, I was prepared.  I planned, and I followed my plate plan - 50% vegetables, 25% protein, and 25% grains.  In the end, I walked away very satisfied and not miserable.  My jeans were not cutting me in half.  I didn't go in to a turkey coma.  I wasn't miserable.  Wow!  That's a new one!

Check out my plate. 
Looks pretty darn good - doesn't it?  A salad and green beans are covering half the plate.  Turkey takes up a quarter.  Finally, mashed potatoes and stuffing complete the plate.  Did I feel deprived for not having a mound of mashed potatoes?  Not at all.  Did I miss the "I'm so full I'm going to puke" feeling.  HECK NO!  And don't worry - I had some pumpkin pie!  I'm not crazy ya know!  It's Thanksgiving!  Having Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie is like having Thanksgiving without turkey!  It just ain't right I tell ya!  At the end of the day, I'm still satisfied and within my calories.  Pretty darn good day!  Woot!  Woot!

1 comment:

Stacy Toki said...

Great job!!!! That's not easy to do. Wish I had done the same thing. I ate so much that I've been filling sick all day today.