Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Snack Time!

I don't know about everyone else, but I LURV me some snacks!  The food plan I'm following requires me to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going.  That means I am always looking for something new and yummy on which to snack! 

Today, I thought I would share some of my favs!

Crystal Light Margarita - I LURV me some margaritas and no one makes them like our local Tres Potrillos.  They are G-O-O-D!  But . . . they're not worth the calories - 768 calories for a jumbo lime margarita.  Yikes!   Old Amy could easily drink 4 . . . that is almost 2 days worth of my calories!  For shame . . .  Well, thank you Crystal Light for creating a margarita flavor and for making it G-O-O-D!  I swear it tastes just as good as Tres Potrillos!  Now, Crystal Light can keep the Appletini and even the Mojito.  I absolutely hated the Appletini, but I could stand the Mojito.  Nothing beats the margarita!


Eat Smart Potato Crisps Salt & Vinegar - If you like salt and vinegar potato chips, these are a great alternative!  For 1 ounce, these will only cost you 120 calories and 3.5 fat compared to an ounce of regular salt and vinegar chips which are 160 calories and 10 fat.

Wasa Crackers - My coworker Susan turned me on to these.  They are only 70 calories for 3 slices which are pretty big.  I love to have them with light egg salad (1 egg w/ 1/2 tablespoon of light mayo) or light tuna salad.

Twisted String Cheese - I happened on to these by accident.  They are just 70 calories and 5 fat for A LOT of flavor!  They have these plus tomato basil, cracked black pepper, and jalapeno. 

Fiber One - These have come a LONG way!  My coworker Curtis shared this one with me,and it tasted like a fudgy brownie!  Mom gave me one that tasted like an Almond Joy!  But beware . . . if you eat a lot of these, you will end up with a B-A-D case of gas!  I kid you not!  It was painful!

Who Nu? - Let me tell ya, these are crazy yummy and packed with nutrition!  My friend Joe introduced me to these, and they now have double stuffed Oreo like cookies!  OMG!  Philip and I actually think they are better than Oreo.  One Oreo is 100 calories and 5 fat while three Who Nu? are 150 calories and 6 fat!  Did I mention all the nutrition?  Three Who Nu? provide 20% of your daily Vitamin A, 30% of Calcium, 30% of Vitamin D, 25% of Vitamin C, and so much more!  You won't get that with Oreo!

Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt - Last but not least, my coworker Stephanie (shout out!) introduced me to this little gem!  On a branch visit, we were chatting about eating healthy.  Stephanie was telling me how I've inspired her with Resolute Fat Girl, and she had lost 9 pounds since the beginning of the year.  (Girl, that meant so much to me!)  Sometime during our conversation, we got to talking about Greek yogurt.  I've heard a lot about the benefits of Greek yogurt, but I just couldn't stand to use 150, 160, 200 calories on it!  Even though it is packed full of protein, I just couldn't justify it.  Enter Steph stage left!  She told me about Dannon's Light & Fit that she found at Walmart.  It is just 80 calories!  80!  It is fat free and packed full of 12 grams of protein!  I did end up finding them at Giant Eagle but only strawberry, blueberry, and cherry.

 What healthy snacks do you all LURV?!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Love your list of snacks!!! :0)

It was nice of you to share the Crystal light with me to try! I'm with you on the Appletini!

I think what amazes me most is the caloric and fat difference in the regular to the new choices you've made. I don't buy too many processed snacks right now from the store. I do have a few vegan nut bars but I only eat those maybe one a week if that.

Ahhh, my favorite snacks? Hummus with carrots, mock tuna salad with rice crackers(love this one!), apple with almond butter, cucumbers(so yummy with hummus too) and I love peaches. But I think my go to is always a lightly salted rice cake with peanut butter and pickles(and I love all kinds of pickles including the hot and spicy!). My list doesn't sound like much next to yours! LOL

Great post Amy!

Resolute Fat Girl said...

Shirley! Thank you so much for always commenting! You are my partner in crime!

I found those individual packets of almond butter at Giant Eagle Marketplace and bought a few! They are HEAVEN! They are so tasty, AND they are portioned controled! Thanks for telling me about those!