Monday, April 15, 2013

Professor Amy and the Scientific Method

Professor Amy here!  I feel it is my Resolute Fat Girl duty to test and report on healthy food and healthy alternatives.  So, when my Facebook lament on my love of peanut butter resulted in several recommendations for PB2, I knew what I had to do.  I HAD to try it!  I mean . . . I had to be a good scientist and diligently work through the scientific method to make a proper determination.

Ask a Question
While several friends (shout out Mary Lou, Ginger, and Jennifer!) recommended PB2, I had to ask, "Is PB2 as good as regular peanut butter?"

Do Background Research
My loyal assistant (shout out Ginger!) reported that she found PB2 at Kroger for $4.95.  She found it around the organic section, so I made it my personal mission to go to Kroger on my lunch to purchase a jar.

Here's the scoop on PB2.  It is created by pressing fresh roasted peanuts to remove 85% of the fat.  PB2 is in powder form.  To create, you take 2 tablespoons of the PB2 and mix it with 1 tablespoon of water.  The end product is only 45 calories and 1.5 grams of fat for 2 tablespoons.  Compared to regular peanut butter at 190 calories and 12 grams of fat, PB2 could be an amazing substitute for my beloved peanut butter.

Construct a Hypothesis
PB2 will be a good substitute for my beloved peanut butter and will prevent me from eating straight from the jar (aka help with portion control).


Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
  1. Purchased jar of PB2 for $4.95 at Kroger.
  2. Measured out 2 tablespoons of PB2
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of water
  4. Mix, mix, mix, mix
  5. Looks like peanut butter - smells like peanut butter
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
  1. Time to try it (I promise it will not make your eyes go crossed)
  2. Ummmm, not sure if I like it . . . it needs something . . .
  3. I decided to try it on a toasted English muffin . . . 
  4. Then I decided it needed just a touch of sweetness, so I got some honey from a coworker
Communicate Your Results
  1. PB2 is low in calories and fat.
  2. You can have 4 times as much for the same amount of calories and less fat.
  3. It looks and tastes just fresh roasted peanuts, but it needed just a little something.
  4. A very small amount of honey, not even a teaspoon, will make it EXCELLENT!

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Loved the pictures! Your some kind of scientist! LOL

Mom said...

Hi Kiddo , I'm going to get that product . Sounds like something I would use . I also love me some peanut butter . I will try it in my WW chocolate drinks and same some points . Thanks for the tip . Love you , Mom

Mom said...

Hi Kiddo , You know how we get when we don't see an update blog (concerned ) . Also in my previous comment I'm going to save some points not same some points .Love and pray for you always . Mom